Invest in Number One

We invest in so much in our daily lives.  In our friendships.  In our relationships.  But how much are we investing in the most important part of our existence?   Ourselves.

When was the last time you picked up a book to broaden your mental capacity?  No matter what subject it is, read to grow your mind.

When was the last time you sat down with someone you have nothing in common with to learn about things outside your comfort zone?  You would be surprised what a fifteen minute conversation can do for both of you.

Invest in your physical being by walking, working out, or going to the park.  20 minutes a day can do wonders for your body over time. I am not telling you to run a marathon if you never ran a mile. Set a goal and gradually build up to it.

Meditation is something that has helped me for the past couple months.  I meditate for different lengths of time.  From one minute to ten minutes.  There is nothing like sitting still with a clear mind and focusing on nothing but your breath and the magnificent vessel that is your body.

Find a way to invest in yourself.  The world can wait.

26 thoughts on “Invest in Number One

1. Sarah @ Sarah on Purpose May 24, 2015 / 4:38 am

I actually am writing something about something similar on Tuesday and I just asked people on FB to weigh in on what fills them up. Great minds!

2. A. Reneé May 25, 2015 / 3:51 am

Yes, to this! Just yes. I would have to say that this is theme of 2015 for me. To wholly and shamelessly invest in myself. I say shamelessly because there seems to be a subtle discouraging of such behavior. It gets viewed as selfish, I think; and in an attempt to avoid that label we throw away ourselves in the pursuit of selflessness. Anyway, my point is I agree strongly with you.

Liked by 2 people

• Antonio V. May 25, 2015 / 4:10 am

Good for you A. Renee’. I know what you mean. I believe a lot of times you must help yourself first before helping others. Glad this resonated with you. :).

3. Samuel Ndungula May 25, 2015 / 5:44 pm

Speaks directly to me. I neglect ourselves too often. disadvantage of being an altruist i guess

4. henriettamross14 May 26, 2015 / 11:45 pm

Great post and so important. Everything begins with self.

• henriettamross14 May 26, 2015 / 11:51 pm

Yes, I agree. I’m Buddhism leaning, so I know everything begins and ends with me. Not in a selfish sense, I just need my house (mind) in order.

• Antonio V. May 26, 2015 / 11:54 pm

Very interesting. I am more of a theist. Having practiced different religions. Buddhism really interest me, though. Going to have to look more into it. 🙂

• henriettamross14 May 26, 2015 / 11:56 pm

I don’t see it as a religion, more of a philosophy that seemed to fit with my own ideas and helped me flesh them out more.

• Antonio V. May 27, 2015 / 12:03 am

Oh, I totally agree. From what I read it was far from that. More like a way of life.

• henriettamross14 May 27, 2015 / 12:04 am

It has certainly helped me, with so many things. Given me perspective, an understanding of people, paradox, so much.

• Antonio V. May 27, 2015 / 12:09 am

Glad to hear it. You have really peaked my interest now. Thanks. 🙂

• henriettamross14 May 27, 2015 / 12:09 am

Pleasure Antonio!

5. SomerEmpress May 29, 2015 / 4:48 pm

…and the world will have to! It is through our examples that others will come to understand our priorities. We must shift the paradigm of taking care of everyone else before we tend to ourselves to one that insists on self care; that my friend, is not only an act of self-preservation, but of revolution.

Stay inspired. Stay well.
    Namasté

• Antonio V. May 29, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Profound words and you are totally right! Stay well. Namaste.

6. nowgenerationcr May 30, 2015 / 3:51 am

Self caring is especially difficult for women, I must add, due to social patterns and upbringing. Women often feel guilty if they put themselves first.

7. Jessica Nichols January 20, 2016 / 7:18 pm

I wholeheartedly agree and it’s one of my missions this year to show people how to take care of themselves bit by bit. It all adds up to a whole, healthy self.

• Antonio V. January 20, 2016 / 9:01 pm

You are absolutely correct Jessica. I think where people fail is the beginning. They see this who task of fixing themselves and quite at the start. Instead of breaking it up to mini tasks or mini goals and completing them that way.

Thank you so much for stopping by a dreading my words. Have a great night, Jessica. 🙂