Why Discipline Will Help You Throughout Your Life

We all want a lot out of life. We should. In the end we all want to look back and say we lived a full life. One with more experiences in the plus column rather than the negative one.

But with all things in life it requires some discipline.  Sometimes a lot of discipline. Either way I think that the word gets a bad rap because many view it with negative connotations.

See, I am not talking about full blown military Drill Sergeant type of discipline. I am not talking about someone controlling your every move and you loathing to hear their voice. Many of us don’t require that.

No, I am talking about having enough self discipline to accomplish your goals. To come up with some type of structure in the pursuit of everything your want and need in life. But to not just want it all right now.

See our biggest problem is most of us live in a society that thrives of instant gratification. A lot of us want success now without having to expend too much energy.

Some of you are shaking your heads at me. That’s fine because you know I am right. Look around at your friends. The ones who are disciplined are often talked about as being out of touch with reality.

No, they are perfectly intuned with themselves and reality. They know that they are sacrificing a little now to gain and bigger reward later. And it all is about discipline.

The discipline to wait for the reward and stick to the plan. See, discipline is your consistency. Your staying power.

The reason to get out of the bed in the morning. The reason and the fuel to keep going day in and day out. Especially when you don’t want to.

Discipline gives you longevity in this life. It will help you to mature and take responsibility for your actions. It will calm you down and keep your hand steady when you need it most.

I want us all to succeed in life. Let’s just all be disciplined in our approach.

30 thoughts on “Why Discipline Will Help You Throughout Your Life

1. donna's love letters August 24, 2015 / 3:24 am

Nice post! Indeed we need discipline in order to achieve what we really want most. It is difficult to stay disciplined today because of distractions here and there. Thanks for reminding me about the staying power we all need, discipline.

2. Jessie August 24, 2015 / 6:33 am

What a wise post! I agree! Thanks for this post. 🙂

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 9:04 am

You are so very welcome Jessie. 🙂

3. Yanique Chambers August 24, 2015 / 7:03 am

It is taking an amazing amount of self-discipline for both my husband and I to pursue our goals. He’s a Marine so it goes without question that self-discipline is one of the biggest lessons we are trying to teach our three kids. Great read!

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 9:06 am

Having once been a military family, I know exactly what you mean. But you guys are doing a great job and your kids will follow your lead. Keep going and let family be your “why”!!

4. @msjkristina August 24, 2015 / 7:09 am

Great post. I’ve learned that to do the hard work I had to be disciplined. I’ve been able to push myself further and further.

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 9:13 am

I am glad you recognized that early msjkristina! You are head of the game. Way to go!! 🙂

5. Inspiration Indulgence August 24, 2015 / 11:34 am

I feel like this is such an amazing and needed post. It’s so important to stay focused and work HARD for what we want in life- not just expect it to be handed to us.

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 11:36 am

Thanks for those kind words! They have made my day! I totally agree with you. We have to work hard for what we want so we can truly call it ours. 🙂

6. Mona El-Gayar August 24, 2015 / 12:43 pm

I sometimes struggle with being able to discipline myself, but it’s a necessary part of life!

7. Sandy Nelson August 24, 2015 / 2:29 pm

Everyone knows discipline is a good thing. However, just like knowing that eating healthy is a good thing, too, that thought can succumb to impulsivity and unhealthy choices. The impulsive use of credit cards to acquire something now that you’re unable to pay for in full, rather than later when you’ve saved up enough money for it, seems rampant in our society. Compulsive activity is a lack of discipline and gets many people in trouble with consequences.

• Antonio V. August 25, 2015 / 6:59 am

You are so right Sandy. We have to have the discipline to not use the cards just because we have the credit! Thanks for reading and commenting. 🙂

8. Jackie @ RunwithJackabee August 24, 2015 / 3:18 pm

It is amazing how making a plan to make life so much easier. Thank you for the reminder that good things often times take a lot of patience.

9. pellerini August 24, 2015 / 3:34 pm

I see the need for instant gratification in my boys and it scares me because I know who they learned it from. I used to be the same way…and also very impulsive. I had to really discipline myself (especially now that I am starting my own business and need to cut back on shopping) and I discipline my boys as well. Hopefully they will thank me later!

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 3:41 pm

By you setting the example they will follow suit!

10. Jasmine Espinal August 24, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Agree! There has got to be a healthy amount of discipline in everyone and it goes for just about everything in life what you eat, how you work, your health, relationships etc etc….very important!

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 3:43 pm

I agree Jasmine. Great points. 🙂

11. Christa August 24, 2015 / 5:24 pm

Discipline is something you just have to have, it effects everything you do in life

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 7:24 pm

So right, Christa. We can’t allow it to stay dormant!

12. Channing C August 24, 2015 / 7:58 pm

The hardest part about being an entreprenuer is maintaining a disciplined routine. With so much time on your hands, sometimes it’s easy to get distracted. I read an article about setting 20 minute intervals between tasks and it really helps you to focus more and be more disciplined with your work.

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 8:00 pm

Yes, I used to do 50 minutes work and 10 minute breaks. But that felt too much like school! So do 20 minutes at a time now.

13. Jazmine August 24, 2015 / 11:43 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I lack some real self-discipline especially when it comes to class work. I’ve just recently set up a routine for myself to get through all the course work I need to. So far it’s been successful. I’ve been pushing myself, trying to have the self-discipline to keep it going.

• Antonio V. August 24, 2015 / 11:47 pm

Good for you Jasmine. Glad you came up with a system! 🙂

14. sarahonpurpose2015 August 25, 2015 / 12:02 pm

Sigh alas discipline… Something that is a challenge for me, but I am getting better at it.

• Antonio V. August 25, 2015 / 12:17 pm

Ah, Sarah it’s not that bad. Just take it one day at a time and keep going. Positivity is the key. You are doing great!

15. The Pink Caboodle August 27, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Great post! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I will definitely have to keep all this in mind.

• Antonio V. August 27, 2015 / 7:23 pm

Thank you so much for commenting! Please do and I love the look of your blog, too!