How Your Attitude Effects Your Growth

Attitude determines altitude

Your mom always told you about your bad attitude as a child, huh?  Mine used to tell me that a bad attitude will stunt your growth.  Luckily I listened because I am over six feet tall now!

But is the old wise saying even true?  I would say yes.  Think about it this scenario:  You just had an argument with someone and minutes later you are still reeling from it.  You are thinking the worse derogatory thoughts imaginable about that person.  You are festering in a bad aura and can’t think about anything else.  Practically seeing red.

Now it’s been ten minutes or so and you finally calm down and allow the anger to subside.  But what have you gained?  Nothing.  But you have lost six hundred seconds of productive time.  The time you could of spend achieving something worthwhile besides a bad attitude.

Now don’t get me wrong.  I am not saying that you must go through life never being angry.  That’s ridiculous. What I am saying is the more you stay in the positive zone, the more you will achieve.  Yes, you will learn through pain, anger, and despair.  But the quicker you get out of those zones and into the positive side, the faster you will see growth.

See, when you fail at something you feel beaten down and have a solemn attitude.  If you wallow there, you will continue to stay at the same level.  But if you take the necessary time to learn from the mistake and then apply it, you quickly move out of your current position to a better one.  A lot of times it’s a vertical position and not lateral. Ultimately placing you above where you just were and at a heightened sense of awareness.

Make a conscious effort to go into work, school, or just start your day with a good attitude.  Make an effort to smile and speak to people.  Help out a friend at work and get them a coffee on the way in.  See how much it changes their attitude and how more productive they become.

You will indeed grow and add points to your overall character and reputation amongst your colleagues. Like the picture suggests, having the right attitude will have you soaring above the clouds quickly.

What are you consciously going to do today to make sure you start  the day with the right attitude?

47 thoughts on “How Your Attitude Effects Your Growth

1. somemaid September 4, 2015 / 1:32 am

I love this. Going to use the line about bad attitudes stunting growth with my kids from now on, and more importantly on myself.

2. kimfit15 September 4, 2015 / 9:27 am

I text positive sayings to some of my co-workers every morning to start the day in a positive frame of mind.

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 9:30 am

Now that is great Kim! You provide positive vibes first thing in the morning. Great job! 🙂

3. HealthyMomInABusyWorld September 4, 2015 / 1:02 pm

This is great! I just got promoted to a management position. I work in a medical field and at times it can get very stressful. A lot of people do not see the amount of organization and teamwork it takes behind the scenes too and my plan was to send motivational messages out on Monday’s to pump up the morale and teamwork and this is great. I will start with your post. I will copy and past if that’s ok as most can not access internet from workstations. I will paste the link as well so if they want to check it out when they get home.

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Congrats on the promotion! And thank you so much for sharing my blog with your staff! I would love that. That means so much to me. You have no idea.

Please let me know if there is something specific they want to read about and I will write it. 🙂

• HealthyMomInABusyWorld September 4, 2015 / 1:55 pm

That’s a great idea! I will start with this post on Tuesday since we are off on Labor day. I will keep you posted if there are specific “road bumps” we have. I will also follow to make sure to keep up with you. 🙂

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Ok. Sounds great. And I am following you also. You have a great blog by the way. Full of helpful and needed information. 🙂 I added you to my Feedly reader. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

4. sarahonpurpose2015 September 4, 2015 / 4:06 pm

I agree with you about attitude being a key factor in growth, I am curious though if those 10 minutes of allowing yourself to be mad and processing the offending event that just occurred isn’t just as valuable. There is a lot to be said for being authentic. It’s a fine line between allowing yourself to feel and wallowing in the mud. Anyway in the your question… Today is art Friday at our house so to stay cheery and bolster our spirits we are busting out the paints and creating colorful birds.

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 4:08 pm

That time is valuable Sarah, but continuing to harbor resentment longer keeps you stuck in a bad mood. Happy painting!

5. goodenufmommy September 4, 2015 / 5:08 pm

This is soo very true! I tell this to my students every day! Very well articulated

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 5:28 pm

And I know they are some smart students! Keep doing a great job and setting the example. 🙂

6. Channing C September 4, 2015 / 7:56 pm

I work with this girl who has THE worst attitude in the world! If you’re in a good mood, she will surely try to ruin it if she can. I just don’t see the point of being negative and mad when all it’s going to do is ruin your day.

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 8:02 pm

I can relate because I was in a dark period like that years ago. Nothing was going write, but I had to snap out of it because I was sabotaging myself. People actually left me alone to figure it out myself. I recommend you do the same. She will figure it out eventually. 🙂

7. Valerie Hansen September 4, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Love this, and is so very true, attitude can totally change your outlook on everything. Thanks for sharing.

• Antonio V. September 4, 2015 / 10:34 pm

No problem Valerie. Thanks for reading and commenting!

8. Pierced Wonderings September 5, 2015 / 12:51 am

I like to start my day with morning pages & meditation. I find it grounds & calms me, which means that I am better able to handle the curve balls I get thrown.

• Antonio V. September 5, 2015 / 7:28 am

Focusing first thing in the miring is great. It puts you in the right attitude immediately. Thanks for sharing and reading! 🙂

9. Hil September 5, 2015 / 2:39 pm

I have a baby who hates sleeping (at night), once I came to terms with the fact that I am always going to be tired and exhausted, getting up at 5:30 am with him has been nice. I get “me” time while he crawls and plays, enjoy blogging, coffee, watching my shows. It was one of the best things to change my attitude, except that this was the best time to get up and make the best of it!

• Antonio V. September 5, 2015 / 2:42 pm

My wife suffered through this with both of our daughters. My military job consumed me and she never got any sleep. I felt so bad for her and tried to help as much as I could. She is a trooper and you are, too for having a positive attitude through it all! 🙂

10. Nereid September 6, 2015 / 9:46 am

I think I was kind of spoiled before I went to college, I got angry when the things don’t go smoothly as I excepted, adults see me as a good student, however, not a mature girl. After I left home for college, every thing I have to do them on my own, from laundry, studying to renting my dorm, now my mind had become way more mature, I can deal things better than before and I got more opportunities with my new attitude. I’m glad that I moved out from home and learned the things that school doesn’t teach us 😀

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 9:56 am

That’s great! By being forced into a situation you made yourself change. Good for you’!!

11. Lori Hil September 6, 2015 / 10:01 am

You are so right, attitude makes a huge difference. Reaching out to help others is a great way to boost our own attitude to a happier place while bringing a smile to someone else!

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 10:13 am

Exactly Lori! I find so much joy in helping others progress through life. It makes us both grow! Thanks for commenting. 🙂

12. Fabiola September 6, 2015 / 10:49 am

Great post! I think your thoughts and your attitude are like clothes, because you can choose which one you put on everyday. Definitely, the first thing to changing our attitude is to make a conscious decision to do so. Following your blog now 🙂

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 10:53 am

Hola Fabiola. Gracias y me mucho gusto. I think that’s rights!! Thank you so much for following and I love your analogy of clothes being like our attitude. So right. Thanks for following and I am following you, too.

13. Sydnee September 6, 2015 / 10:50 am

Love this post. It’s something I’ve been striving to work on this summer. As someone with anxiety sometimes it can be very difficult for me not to dwell on crappy situations or to overthink things. BUT with that being said, I am making an active habit of giving myself a few minutes to gripe/wallow/moan and then I have to get over it. Today I woke up, looked at the gorgeous lake at the cottage I’m visiting and enjoyed a cup of tea.

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 10:55 am

Good for you Sydnee. Soak that environment of the cottage in and relax. I am jealous. Have a great time!! 🙂

14. Deniza September 6, 2015 / 1:39 pm

Excellent post as always! Attitude really does make a difference. I tried to stay positive when I got the news about my doctoral thesis … I cannot change anything about it, so why would I be depressed and in a bad mood! Now I am searching for other projects instead of mourning …
    Thank you for this!

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Thank you Melissa. Glad you enjoyed it!! 🙂

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 7:22 pm

You are so right, Amy. Thanks for commenting 🙂

15. kandice September 6, 2015 / 7:39 pm

I couldnt agree more! Life seems a little easier when you stop worrying and stressing over things you cant control too!

• Antonio V. September 6, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Indeed Kandice! Let’s focus on the positive and grow!!

16. mojomusingoutloud September 7, 2015 / 4:23 am

What a great post! The way that I maintain a positive attitude is to remember that I get to control my reactions. We are all often tested by circumstances outside of our control. But even if we have no control over what is happening to or around you, we have full control over how we react to the situation. Our attitude affects the influence we allow the circumstances to have on us!

• Antonio V. September 7, 2015 / 10:51 am

Thank you! You are so correct. We control our emotions and reactions so if we stay positive we will come out on top! Thanks for reading. 🙂

17. Jonathan Key September 7, 2015 / 9:04 am

A person’s attitude is contagious! If a person is positive they will influence people around them in a positive manner. If a person is negative they will influence people around them in a negative manner. This is a great reminder to focus on the positive and keep moving forward!

Liked by 2 people

• Antonio V. September 7, 2015 / 10:53 am

Exactly Jonathan. Be the change you want to see in the world us one of my favorite quotes. Have a great day!

Liked by 2 people

• mojomusingoutloud September 7, 2015 / 7:12 pm

I was just watching a video last night of this motivational speaker called Vinh Giang. He is amazing, great insight. Basically focuses on psychological illusions and how the biggest flaw is also our greatest strength; focus. Check him out on youtube! But he was talking about the power of influence in one of his videos. He did a psychological trick where he could tell the audience what the person on stage was going to pick (did an example with a letter of the alphabet and with an animal). He explained that as a magician, he has to talk A LOT in order to be able to influence someone into making a choice that they think is their own. However, a negative person does not have to say a thing. They can suck the energy out of you just by being in the room.

He used the analogy of when his parents use to taking him to catch crabs from the local bay. His father would put all of the crabs into the barrel without a lid. He asked his dad why he isn’t putting a lid on the barrel; aren’t all the crabs going to just climb out? His dad explained to him that they can’t because the crabs on the top are being pulled down by the crabs below them, and the crabs below them are being pulled down by the crabs below them and so and so forth. A negative person is the same in that they will try to pull you down so they can get out, but at the end nobody gets out and everybody suffers. He highlighted the importance of ridding yourself of the negative influences around you if you want to succeed.

I thought this was such an amazing view in such an unique manner. I’m actually thinking about exploring it in another blog post because I feel like that is just the tip of the iceberg!

• Antonio V. September 7, 2015 / 7:46 pm

That was very insightful. Mojo. I totally forgot about the crab in the barrel mentality. Great example. Let us know when you write that post, too. I want to read it!

• Antonio V. September 7, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Anya, glad we are singing the same time! And you are right we have to keep out attitude positive. Thanks for commenting and can’t wait to check out your blog. 🙂