Why Pleasing Everyone Shouldn’t Be On Your To Do List

IMG_2406-1

We are natural people pleasers. We want to keep our friends happy. We want our significant other to be pleased with us. We seek the approval of our parents, too.
But all of this can wear us out.  I know it would me. So what do we do?  Do we give in to the needs of everyone else and keep them happy?  I will tell you without a doubt that the answer is no.

And you know I am right. It’s no because you come first. Because you are no good to anyone worn out. You can’t be a better husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, or anything else if you can’t focus on the number one thing in your life: YOU.

Plain and simple. You should be at the top of any and all lists that you keep. You are your number one priority. Now I know there are some of you out there who yelling at your screen right now. But listen to me for a second.

How can you be at your best for others if you are not taking care of yourself first? We all want to give our best day in and day out. But we can’t if we give of ourselves blindly. Blindly with no regard for your own well-being, mainly your health.

So do me a favor, all day this week make an effort to put yourself first. Sun up till sun down consciously think about yourself first. Only then can you be a better you for everyone else.

24 thoughts on “Why Pleasing Everyone Shouldn’t Be On Your To Do List

1. China Barbie November 30, 2015 / 3:35 pm

Awesome post, especially around this time of year!
    And it’s very cool to see a man blogger! 😛
    Very random question; how did you make that picture? I’ve been wanting to start using those kind of visuals for my blog, but I’m not sure how.
    Thanks! 😀

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 9:00 pm

Thank you so much! And yes, there aren’t many male bloggers that I run into. Wish there were more of us.

I use a app called WordSwag. It’s great and quick to do on my iPhone!!

2. Sarah November 30, 2015 / 3:35 pm

I live by this. I am constantly chasing after my two little ones and keeping up with my husband’s schedule. I have to be ever mindful to put myself first.

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 9:02 pm

Sarah, putting yourself first will allow you to better manage the household. You won’t feel like your always being reactive, but on top of everything. Thanks for reading and come back anytime! 🙂

3. Carol November 30, 2015 / 3:40 pm

I have a WordPress event that caters to the art of self-care, so I totally agree with you. After a lifetime of being a people-pleaser and realizing that it was always me bending over backwards, I knew it was time to start putting myself first. I no longer think it’s a selfish thing to do; it’s necessary if my loved ones are going to get the best of me.

Thanks for posting this!

Carol
    {a fellow #‎bloggingboost‬ member}

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Carol, so glad you came over from Blogging Boost. Let’s start now by putting yourself first. You deserve it! If you don’t mind me asking, what is the name of your WP event? Would love to check it out!

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 9:06 pm

No we won’t Charlene and our aim should never to be. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! 🙂

4. Rica@ Yoga Mat Monkey November 30, 2015 / 10:58 pm

Yes! Self-love is not ego-centered. In nurturing ourselves first, we have our best selves to offer to those in need. We can support and inspire! Thanks for this great post, Antonio. 🙂

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 11:36 pm

Thank you for all the support Rica! 🙂

5. patricemfoster November 30, 2015 / 11:30 pm

We cannot support or inspire others only if we are strong in our own strength. Trying to please everyone never work it only causes sadness and I am saying this because I am guilty of putting others needs before mine.

• Antonio V. November 30, 2015 / 11:38 pm

You are absolutely right Patrice. I spent 23 years in the military supporting others. I finally made the decision to retire and support myself and my family more. Best decision I ever made! Thanks for reading. 🙂

• Antonio V. December 1, 2015 / 8:01 am

Wow. Yea, I guess we were on the same brain wavelength. I am glad to have came across your blog! Great writing 🙂

• mopana December 1, 2015 / 8:03 am

Yes, we are on the same page 🙂 I am glad to have came across your blog too

6. ridetheewaves December 4, 2015 / 9:05 am

Love this post! This is a really neat blog and as someone else said there aren’t enough male bloggers. I’m following and for sure staying tuned…

• Antonio V. December 4, 2015 / 9:10 am

Thank you so much! I appreciate those kind words. I think I am something of an anomaly- the rare male blogger. 🙂

Stay tuned, I am posting again within the hour! Thanks again.

7. lesliesholly December 26, 2015 / 3:08 pm

Great advice, but so hard for many of us to follow. Thanks for the reminder.

• Antonio V. December 26, 2015 / 3:22 pm

I agree, Leslie. It is tough, but necessary for many of us. Thanks for commenting. 🙂