Have you every had a car that pulled to the left or right every time you drove it? No matter what you did it wouldn’t stay straight. As tight as you held the steering wheel, it felt like the car had a mind of its own.So you take it to a car shop and they fix the problem. They get the car back in alignment. You took it to the right people and had them correct the problem. You may not have even known them, but you sought them out for their skills.
This is what we need to do in our personal lives. We are all over the place sometimes. Trying to do so much with no direction. That is why we are all over the road of life. We need to get our life aligned with the right people. Here are five tips to help you get on the right track.
1. Figure out what you want. What do you want to accomplish the most in the near future? What ignites the spark inside of you? What has you up at night and keeps butterflies in your stomach? Got it?
2. Find the people to get you there. It may be a certain teacher that everyone calls unapproachable. Someone who seems smarter than the entire school. It may be the Vice President of you company who everyone says doesn’t talk to anyone lower than a manager. It may be a famous person that is where you want to be already. It really doesn’t matter who it is. Just someone ahead of you already that can help you in your journey. Found someone? Now the hard part. Well, for some at least.
3. Approach them right now. That’s right. Don’t think, just do it. Go to that teacher’s office and knock on the door. Talk to the V.P’s secretary and get on his calendar for that day. Better yet, shoot him an email (not a cheesy one) and ask for five minutes of his or her time. Send an email to that famous person and reach out sincerely. Tell them you need a couple of minutes on the phone or Skype to ask them some questions. They can only say no. But many will say yes.
4. Act on their advice. They will say yes, but many don’t appreciate them sincerely. Many are coming to them only asking for something material. Not for advice and knowledge and wisdom. You are validating them and they will help you. Trust me. I do it all the time. I reach out to people and a lot of them say no. But I only need a one or two to say yes. And when they do, they open up completely to me. And what they tell me I act on. Because telling them, doesn’t do anything for people. Walking the walk and applying the knowledge shows them that you were serious. Acting on what they told you gets you ahead.
5. Show gratitude and give back. Show them that what they told you has helped you get into the right frame of mind. And if it didn’t help, tell them why but what you did instead. This helps create a relationship that neither one of you knew was forming. Tell them you appreciate all that they did for you and tell others. Hell, show others and spread the knowledge to those who are out of alignment and don’t even know it.
Now you are in your right place and fully aligned. You are headed straight down the road. You have also gained some possible relationships along the way. But don’t stop there. This is a “rinse and repeat” type of thing. You are going to have to keep doing this to stay on the right track. You have to seek out other people and build new relationships while solidifying the other ones.
And some people will reach out for you to help in their alignment. Help them out so that we all can travel down the road of success.
Who are you going to contact this weekend or next week to get you better aligned? Comment below and tell me about it.
P.S. If you liked this, please share it on your favorite social media site. Thanks in advance!